Dr. Travis is a product of the Baltimore City Public School System. She is a graduate of Edmondson Senior High School. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in physical education from Morgan State College; Masters Degree of Education from West Chest University; Masters Degree in Theology from St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore, Maryland. In May 1992, Dr. Travis received her Doctor of Ministry degree from the United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio.
Bishop John Hurst Adams gave Dr. Travis her first pastoral appointment to the Chesapeake City Circuit which included Bethel and Ebenezer A.M.E. Churches in Cecil County Maryland) Dr. Travis served these two congregations driving 122 miles for six years. In July 1991, Bishop H. Hartford Brookins appointed her, the first female pastor to Evergreen A.M.E. Church where she served for 21 years.
Recognized for her “unusual” gift of organization, Dr. Travis has served as a workshop leader at various retreats, conferences, and seminars in the areas of leadership, discipleship, and evangelism.
She has toured the Caribbean, Haiti, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, Trinidad, and Guyana doing evangelistic work. In 1983, Dr. Travis traveled with Operation Crossroads to the Republic of South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland, and Lesotho, where she helped to build a one-room school. In February 2005, she preached and taught a leadership workshop in Ghana, West Africa. Besides her extraordinary leadership in the educational arena, Dr. Travis is a visionary leader. This woman of God with so many gifts and talents has a shepherd’s heart and passion for people.
Dr. Travis was employed as a Physical Education Teacher, Coach, and Athletic Director in the Baltimore City Public School System. After 30 years of service, she retired from Lake Clifton Eastern High School, one of the largest high schools in the country.
Dr. Travis has received numerous awards and recognition:
· Speaker of the Year – American Business Women’s Association
· Teacher of the Year – Baltimore City Public School System
· Certificate of Meritorious Recognition – Student teachers from Coppin, Morgan State University and Towson colleges.
· Co-Host 186th Session of the Baltimore Annual Conference
· Advisory Committee International Black Women in Ministry Conference 2005 (Fort Lauderdale, Florida); 2006 in Los Angeles, California
· Coordinator for AME Women in Ministry- Baltimore Conference, 2001-2003
· Panelist, Women in Ministry (Hampton Ministers’ Conference, 2003
· Featured story in Pot Likker 9Stories for Teachers and Learners) authored by Dr. Larry Grant Coleman
· Sermon noted in Those Preaching Women, Volume Four authored by Dr. Ella Mitchell
· Preached at the 189th Baltimore Annual Conference in March, 2005 (3rd woman to preach at this Conference)
Dr. Travis is a member of:
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
AME Ministerial Alliance (Baltimore Conference)
AME Women in Ministry (Baltimore Conference)
Advisory Board Member – STAR (Sisters Together and Reaching, Inc.)
Honors and Awards
N.A.A.C.P 2007 Rosa Parks Salute to Women in the Pulpit
Delta Lamba Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Award