The History of Ebenezer A.M.E. Church

In the year 1836, a group of worshipers met in a small paint shop in South Baltimore for the purpose of singing and praying. This group was the first membership of what is now known as Ebenezer A.M.E. Church.

The present property was purchased in 1839, but the church was not incorporated until 1848. The church has undergone many structural changes since its beginnings, but the love and support of the members have remained constant.

Seven of Ebenezer’s pastors were ordained bishops in the African Methodist Church.  They were Daniel Payne, A.W. Wayman, Joseph A. Shorter, John M. Brown, James Campbell, James A. Hardy and Isaac N. Ross.  Bishop Payne, who organized Ebenezer and served briefly as the pastor, became one of the leading educators of his time.

Ebenezer also played an important part in the education of black children. In 1839, the church took pride in operating a day school on the premise.

Ebenezer’s English Gothic design, its stained glass windows with geometric Victorian patterns, its pews and ceiling beams of Georgia pine, its marble pulpit and its electrified Bronze bell – which can be used to signal us to worship – are all representative of the sacrifices and accomplishments of dedicated, loyal and supportive people.

To God be the glory for the Great things He has done.